With global temperatures fluctuating and sea levels on the rise, it’s never been more apparent that we all need to pitch in to help our world. In this post, we’ll take a look at some things that dancewear companies do to stay eco-friendly as well as some things you can do as a dancer to make sure you’re doing your part for the environment.
Eco Friendly Ideas for Dancers
Being eco friendly is all about commitment and consistency. Here are some ideas on how you can stay green:
- Set up a carpool each week to get to and from dance
- Invest in a reusable water bottle and snack containers that you can bring to class each week
- Turn old pointe shoes into artwork
- Use old dance bags like Rac n Rolls or GRIT bags as travel bags once you’re done using them for dance
- Donate or sell old dancewear to your studio, local theatre companies or value Village & consignment shops
- Hand down your old dancewear to a younger sibling or friend
- Sell your lightly used dancewear online (kijiji, Facebook groups, etc)
Dancewear and the Environment
Below we’ve included some of the dancewear brands we carry that are committed to sustainable practices.
Yogavated specializes in artistic yoga wear and other athletic wear. The fabrics of this US-based company include the recycled scraps of big box stores across the country. To reduce waste, they also use their own scraps to make smaller items like headbands, sports bras, and underwear. Making their items in their own workshop allows them to cut down on almost all of the waste involved from producing clothing. Teaming up with the non-profit charity One Tree Planted resulted in a vow to plant a tree for every headband sold on the Yogavated website.
Mondor is a Canadian brand that makes all types of dancewear. Part of their mission statement is to use manufacturing processes that are sustainable and gentle on the environment. One of these practices is the re-neutralization of the PH from the water they use to dye products.
All in all, we’re happy to promote environmental practices and hope that one day we live in a world where that’s just the norm. Thanks for reading, and if you have any comments or questions, feel free to contact us.
Inspirations Dancewear is Canada's Dancewear Superstore™, with our 13,000 sq ft Canadian retail store and warehouse full of year-round, in-stock dancewear.
Not sure where to start?
Check out our